Sunday 8 August 2010

I mention hoovers 12 times!

I was overthinking a mundane dream I had, when I realised something. I think I've stumbled across proof that the brain has capabilities greater than you once thought. Let me explain...

Ok, so this is how the dream went. I was standing in my sitting room (oh the irony) wearing a sombrero, talking to this person who had crawled down my fireplace chimney. This is seriously the kind of shit I dream about. Anyway, I dont remember who it was I was talking to, but after a while they walked over to a cupboard, while still talking to me about something, and pulled out a hoover. He then proceeded to plug it in and turn it on and happily hoover the carpet as he talked. The sound of the hoover got louder and louder until I eventually woke up to the sight of my mum hoovering the landing. I would've been angry, but to be fair it had gone 12 o'clock.

Anyway, so thats that, the hoover in the dream was of the sound of my own mum hoovering. Excellent.

BUT

The strange thing is, the events in my dream timed perfectly the stranger hoovering my dream house, with the actual sound of my real mum with a real hoover hoovering for real. Hoovers. How did my mind know to make the man in my dream walk over to the hoover, and then turn it on at just the right time so that the sound of it matched perfectly with the sound of the real hoover outside my bedroom doorway? Could this mean that you are fully aware of your surroundings when asleep? I dont understand how my brain knew that my mum was going over to the hoover, and turning it on, and to then make it so the events in my dream led up to and fitted perfectly with it.

That's pretty freaky, Bowie.

It bothered me that much to make a whole blog post about it. What do the handful of people that actually care about these posts think about this?

5 comments:

  1. That is actually a really good point !
    XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh i've had this before, sometimes when I've woken up to a clock radio the song on would become incorporated to the end of my dream, my theory is it happens when the long process of waking up starts, your body is therefore more aware of its surroundings and so hears stuff but doesn't realise its real and so solves the noise in the dream, the hoover was probably already running before the person in your dream picked it up, but you only became aware of it when the man picked it up.

    Wow, i had a lot of thought on that.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's kind of like a lucid dream, as you have picked up on the surroundings, so then dream you has changed it.... just a thought:):P thats how mine went:L but with a fly buzzing so i changed my location:L

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard somewhere that you only dream for the last few minutes of sleep, before waking, so maybe it has something to do with that. Though after watching inception, I'm full of theories of people breaking into dreams and dreams within dreams etc etc :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Rachel here. I think the Hoover was already going but to make it seem less weird to you, you made your dream change to explain the sound and told yourself you hadn't heard it yet...

    Ask Freud. He had a strange theory of things in dreams being meaningful. Maybe it meant you have a secret crush on your Hoover or something stupid like that. Haha.

    ReplyDelete